Pages

November 11, 2009

Who says christians don't produce good art. Article #1

Informal and random as it is. I wanted to share some art from a variety of backgrounds of art. Ive been inspired by some of these pieces and by this book I am reading called Imagine; a vision for christians in the arts.

"One of the greatest hinderances to the development of biblically informed mainstream art has been the perception that Christians should make "Christian art" and that "Christian art" is always explicitly religious. Understood this way, "Christian art" is not distinguished by a regenerated outlook on the whole of life but by a narrow focus on Bible stories, saints, martyrs and the individual's relationship with God." pg23

"Lack of Christians in the popular arts and the inferior quality of contemporary "Christian Art" had an effect on me as a teenager. Because its claims were ignored, Christianity appeared to be culturally irrelevant. Did this mean that Christians just couldn't tough it out in the "real" world? Did it mean that cultural expressions of Christianity could only survive when unchallenged, in the condoned off enclave of the Christian subculture?
 Because the work that bore the name Christian was often poor in quality and naive in understanding, Christianity by implication seemed insipid and uninspiring. How great was this God that allowed such work to represent him? How exciting was this life that seemed to perfer drabness to color, shallowness to complexity, security to risk?" pg12


Granted Ive only just started reading this book. Its an easy read by the way, I would encourage you to read it. I have felt the same way as the writer, especially as a teen. This is part of what todays church would call my "testimony". I have been dubbed "the artist" by people from every sector of my life. My teachers, peers, employers, friends, parents of friends have all pigeon-holed me as that melocoly, craftsy, and assumed I'd taken classes until told otherwise (I couldnt naturally be good). So when I was told that God was a creator I pigeon-holed him too. I am only just now discovering, somewhat through this book that I am not the only one that has done this.


What do you think? Do  a majority of Christians through their actions or through their art represent God in a negative light?



Random Examples:


 
Randomly found on www.gospelgraffiti.com











































































This is a photo taken by a really good friend of mine studying Photography and Journalism in South Africa . Her site is: http://booher.wordpress.com/

Another REALLY amazing Artist friend of mine, from New Mexico  - also a photographer. I can't cut and paste her work because its so professionally copyrighted on her website. But please DO check it out. Dannette Chappell.  http://www.danettechappell.com



3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to check out that book.

    Have you ever heard of "addicted to mediocrity" by Franky Schaeffer? It's an older book from the 80's, and the cover isn't that attractive. . . but it is one of my favorite books ever. Everything I read I wanted to shout out...YEA!! You are SO RIGHT! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Marcia I have not read that. I am really getting into this nerdy mode right now where I feel like I am either reading or typing somthing 24/7. So I will have to have to check it out.

    Marcia Furman everyone: Also a local artist whose work and blog I keep up with. Wha-who! yay for impowering creativity. (click her name to check out her site).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephbell I'm enthralled with your blog...the most recent poem you posted has really got my brain turning.

    I will not attack others because they do not agree or understand.



    Thanks for that line, I needed to hear it. You are deeper than the ocean, and it was such a privilege to be on a team with you.


    Love you sista.

    ReplyDelete