Pages

August 7, 2010

Mexico City : First few weeks

Buenos Dias from Mexico City!!
Matt’s team has been here for about 4 weeks and has almost every day gone out with local youth to do ministry in the city. Every day they have left early and returned late… just simply serving people in the city. The last week of that has been helping out at the Global Youth Outreach (GYO) which Youth With A Mission, Perth is hosting-facilitating-and staffing in Mexico City.

From the Left: Emily, Shelly, Brittany, Jess & Anders w/ baby Olivia, Chun, Matt, and at the bottom Michelle, and Ji Eun (pronounced Gee-oon)
Picture taken before I joined the team.



I have been here for the last 2 weeks. My first week has been working with Art-Reach in the City. The week was such a joy to have a pencil and brush in my hands. Then when I joined the GYO I led the Media team that captured it all on screen. Then on the days of the GYO did outreach in the city we had the youth take up their pencils, brushes, and chalk also. The artists and youth of this city inspire me…
My amazing team that reached out in Azpocazalco, a region of Mexico City.
About 30 youth from different parts of the
region all coming together in unity to serve their community.


Practical serving-ministry during the GYO.
 A huge fountain that did not appear to be
designed with the intention of being covered in graffiti and trash.
Our friends just put gloves on and sifted through the maggot infested rubbish.


 
Sarah (Right of center) and I sharing examples of art with local people in the community
that have gathered together for an art seminarduring ART REACH.


Victor, a local Christian artist, that shared his heart on
the sidewalk during the outreach "Days of Commpassion" of the GYO.
We met him during Art Reach. He is finally picking his
paintbrushes and pencils up again
after years of making room for
everything but the skills and passions God gave him years ago.
For all those that have prayed and supported us these last few months - a huge “thank you” from the communities of Mexico City.

 "I want you guys to tell your churches and tell your families what a blessing you have been to Mexico City."- Local Pastor in Azpocazalco 

Broke my heart to hear.. as I was moving into another region where Matt would be, but I was soo happy to just hear the confirming words from a strong leader in the community. Doing what I do with art and just simple acts of prayer for people sometimes especially at the begining of a long outreach the temptation is that the difference being made is a meager one... but this man really cemented it into my head with his thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment