Pages

August 8, 2008

Santa Fe dry and fruitful - DAY ONE

Day1
Im writing the first morning after we arrived here in Santa Fe. Getting over the little amount of Jet-lag we have encountered, we are up bright and early. 8:30 here in this wonderfully dry desert, is 10:30 at home in good-ol green Pennsyltucky.
So yesterday- (you gotta hear this) we got up at my moms house, because she accepted the position as airport-driver and requested that we spend the night. We, or should I say I, was under the impression that our itinerary said Matt and I had to board the plane at eight. Right as we are going out the door, at 4am, Matt ’so conveniently’ discovered it said six. Now I have to inform you that having flown a few times before I knew that we had to be at the airport 2hours early because of the security changes that have been made- influenced by the events of September 11, 2001. I was just praying if it was to happen that we were to be on that plane, and that for some reason or another those fun little security changes would be a little shorter than usual. Shorter buy at least the 2 hours suggested you be there. We arrived at the terminal just as the plane was boarding. Some call it fate, some call it coincidence - I call that kind of miracle God. We made it!
I think getting on that plane meant soo much to Matt. It represented, growth, goals, and God working in our lives to get us to this point. I could see it on his face as we waited at our lay-over in Minneapolis, a content and quiet joy. We arrived in Albuquerque safe and sound, a little queasy, but content to have traveled together as couple. Elizabeth met us at the airport with hugs and a beautiful wide grin. On the way to the YWAM base she pointed out the names of distant mountains and we ended up stopping at this quaint, brightly colored, genuine 50’s vintage diner called the Route66 Diner. It was clean lined, adorned in pink, teal, chrome and black n’ white checkers. We excitedly caught each other up on life and happenings over sandwiches and great milkshakes!
We got to the ‘base’, otherwise known as Karen Lafferty’s house, the leader of the ‘base‘. Dropped our bags and met its current residents. An older mother and daughter duo, Virginia and Karen. Sweet ladies with lots of joy and wisdom. And Karen Lafferty also an older lady, (I‘ll share more about her later). Oh and when I say older I mean beyond our parents age, attempting to season my words with salt but give you an understanding of how it all comes off. Apparently we just missed a few others that usually work here, but conveniently so- because it left an empty bed.
Matt and I had dinner at Applebee’s with Beth and Karen Lafferty. We discussed our experiences in YWAM, and visions and goals about our future. Good conversation. It amazed me about how united and networked Youth With A Mission is. Karen, who has been part of YWAM for decades now, knew almost every leader I have ever met or heard of - all over the globe mind you. Karen came across very versed and professional, while encouraging and cautious with her words. This has been very good for Matt and I because we have been praying and asking God if getting involved with this base is in our future. As right now we are waiting on a direct word that we can stand on from the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment